Brown rice is not only delicious, it is a staple of some of the best recipes for great, healthy meals. Cooking rice on the other hand can be time consuming and tricky if you don’t use a rice cooker.
Rice cookers are convenient and incredibly effective if you want to prepare rice for sushi, curries or even rice pudding. But what rice cookers are the best, and can handle brown rice well? We have selected three good choices and in this review we will give you the rundown on their good and bad sides so you can decide easily which one will work best for you.
Tiger Corporation JBV-A10U-W 5.5-Cup Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer and Slow Cooker: One Touch Rice
Our first option is the Tiger Corporation JBV-A10U-W 5.5-Cup Micom Rice Cooker with food steamer. This cooker has different functions for different types of rice (including brown rice) and has an extra steam pan for simultaneous cooking.
The brown rice feature is what we really like, because it really cooks it well so it has the right consistency and is not too dry. It works with easy one touch automation, but let’s take a look at the pros and cons before we give you our final verdict.
- It offers synchro cooking so different dishes can be cooked simultaneously
- It works with one touch
- It has four different cooking settings
- It is easy to clean
- It has a non-stick inner pan
- It includes a BPA free cooking plate, non-stick spatula, measuring cup and a basic cookbook
- It has a detachable inner steam cup
- It has a keep warm function of up to 12 hours
- Dimensions: 13.9 x 10.6 x 8.4 inches
- Weight: 5.7 pounds
- The keep warm function is very useful
- The steam plate is useful and saves time
- It is very easy to use and to clean
- The rice doesn’t stick to the pan
- It works well for different types of rice
- It doesn’t splatter or leak when cooking
- It is a good size and cooks brown rice well
- It does not have a timer
- The steam pan is quite small
- It is not very durable and lasts for about a year
- It takes a long time to cook brown rice with this cooker
The convenience of a rice cooker and steamer in one is the best part of this cooker by Tiger. The fact that you can cook rice while also steaming veggies at the same time, is very useful. It opens up a range of different meal options that you can prepare with much less hassle.
It does not have a timer and the steam pan is not very large, so it will be best for one or two person cooking. It won’t help much if you have to cater for a large family that come hungry.
Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5-1/2-Cup Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer: Features for Every Whim
Our next option is quite a space age little appliance that does much more than just cook rice. It is a well-designed cooker, with easy to select options to help you make anything from basic sticky rice to even baking a cake for you. It can handle almost every type of rice you can find, including brown rice.
- It has an automatic warming function
- It has a reheating cycle
- It comes with a retractable cord
- It has a beep signal with an interchangeable melody
- It comes with an additional steaming basket
- It has a detachable inner lid
- It has an LCD control panel with a timer
- It comes with a rice measuring cup, spatula and spatula holder
- It has a clear coated stainless steel finish
- It has a large range of different menu settings
- It comes with time delay settings
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 10.1 x 14 in
- Weight: 9.4 pounds
- The timer has a countdown display
- It can be used as a slow cooker
- It is incredibly convenient and well designed
- The menu is very intuitive
- The clock does not need to be reset if you unplug the cooker
- It is very easy to clean
- It takes a long time to cook brown rice or oatmeal
- Rice can become dry and hard on the keep warm setting
- It is a bit expensive
The Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer really has a long list of positives that should make it a clear and easy choice, but it does take its time. Perhaps good things come ot those who wait, but in this case you will need patience or planning because brown rice will easily take an hour or more. On the other hand it really is a well-designed cooker, with very convenient features that work well.
Panasonic SR-G06FG Automatic 3.3 Cup Rice Cooker: Easy Compact Basics
Our last rice cooker is the most compact of the three. Although the Panasonic SR-G06FG Automatic 3.3 Cup Rice Cooker is not recommended for cooking brown rice, it is still a really efficient rice cooker with some nice features, so we decided to give it a chance in our list of the best rice cookers. It is a basic one touch rice cooker that will suit someone who does not need a huge amount of rice.
- Automatic cooking in one step
- It has an easy single touch button
- It has an automatic shut off
- It can make up to 3 cups of uncooked rice
- It has a clear glass lid
- It has a non-stick aluminum pan
- It has 310 Watts of power
- It includes accessories like a measuring cup and rice scoop
- It comes with an instruction manual
- It has a silver color
- It has a cooking indicator light
- Weight: 2.6 pounds (kg)
- Dimensions: 9.29 x 9.29 x 7.32 in (cm)
- It is a fast cooker
- It is very reliable
- It is easy to clean
- It is incredibly easy to use
- It has a very reasonable price
- It doesn’t have any unnecessary features
- It can sometimes give a little too much browning
- The included measuring cup is not accurate
- It is not very durable
- It can boil over easily
You can make brown rice in this cooker, although it will not be very easy to determine the consistency. This is a small compact rice cooker and will work very well for you if you don’t need to cook for more than one or two people. It does not have any other features and can boil over, but as a basic entry level cooker it does what it is supposed to.
The final verdict
Depending on what you want from your rice cooker, any of these three could fit the bill. In our case we really like the Tiger, it is not too gimmicky, can cook brown rice well, but it still has a few extra features that the Panasonic does not have.
As a budget option however, the Panasonic is an awesome choice for your first apartment. We hope you have a clear idea about what rice cookers are available, and that you will be able to find a brown rice cooker more easily now.