More of us are living on our own these days and, although there are a lot of benefits, there are also drawbacks. For a start, you need to finance all of your rent, food, utilities and transport costs. One of the biggest costs (ok, after rent or mortgage) is of course food, so it stands to reason that you don’t want to buy too much or throw away a lot of it. Not only is that expensive, it’s also bad for the environment. Now, I have said many times before that rice is great food. It’s versatile, cheap and easy to cook but, there’s a slight drawback because one of the most difficult things to find is a rice cooker that will be big enough for just one person.
However, they aren’t impossible to find so in this post I’ve outlined some of the things to look for and, of course, I’ve put together a list of 5 rice cookers for one person that are perfect for people who want or need to eat rice on their own. If you are a singleton, I hope you find exactly what you’re looking for, and start enjoying rice more than ever before!
My Top 5 Rice Cookers For One
|Top||Zojirushi NHS-06 3-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker||Prime||Buy Now|
|DCIGNA 1.2L Mini Rice Cooker, Electric Lunch Box, Travel Rice Cooker Small, Removable Non-stick Pot, Keep Warm Function, Suitable For 1-2 People - For Cooking Soup, Rice, Stews, Grains & Oatmeal||Prime||Buy Now|
|1.0L Mini Rice Cooker,WHITE TIGER Portable Travel Steamer Small,15 Minutes Fast Cooking, Removable Non-stick Pot, Keep Warm, Suitable For 1-2 People - For Cooking Soup, Rice, Stews & Oatmeal||Prime||Buy Now|
|Mishcdea Small Rice Cooker 3 Cups (Uncooked), 12 Hours Preset and Keep Warm, Electric Nonstick Multicooker Energy Saving Warmer, Suitable For 1-2 People, White||Prime||Buy Now|
|Elite Gourmet ERC-2020 Electric Rice Cooker with Stainless Steel Inner Pot Makes Soups, Stews, Grains, Cereals, Keep Warm Feature, 6 Cups, White||Prime||Buy Now|
Small Rice Cooker For One Person Or Two Servings Of Rice
A rice cooker for one is perfect for anyone who wants to prepare rice on their own. As well as the usual benefits of a rice cooker such as their ability to save you time, energy and money they also simplify the whole process of cooking great-tasting rice.
Of course although they are great appliances, rice cookers tend to be designed for larger families who may need 6 or even 10 portions of rice in a single sitting. They’re often too big for just one person. And, it’s not just single people who are left out as couples only need 2 servings of rice per meal and, again, you may find that you are using more energy or taking longer to cook larger portions in the normal rice cooker. However, like almost everything, there’s is a solution at hand if you take the time to do your research and, in this case, a small rice cooker is the perfect solution. But, before I discuss the best ones available today, let’s take a look at another few benefits of a small rice cooker.
A Small Rice Cooker is Ideal For Traveling
Believe it or not but many people do take their rice cooker with them when they travel. In fact rice cookers are an excellent thing to take on trips since they can make rice anywhere you go, even if there’s no kitchen available. Of course, you need a power source so they are best used in an RV or automobile – you don’t want to carry a 20 mile long reel of cable to plug your rice cooker in if you are hiking :). But if you stay in hostels, hotels or even AirBnB then taking your own rice cooker isn’t as daft as it may sound. In fact, one of my friends is a regional airline pilot who swears by taking his compact rice cooker wherever he goes on a job.
Although it is possible to find propane powered rice cookers I wouldn’t recommend them as they are expensive to run and the temperature control is not as good as electric ones.
Small Rice Cooker With Glass Lid
I recommend buying a rice cooker with a glass lid if possible as this will make it easy to check on your rice as it cooks without having to open the cooker and letting the flavor and heat out.
Mini Rice Cooker With Keep Warm Function
A rice cooker with a keep warm function is perfect for anyone who wants to eat rice throughout the day. Most rice cookers for one person come with some kind of keep warm feature these days meaning that you can cook your meal the night before and then just have it warming ready for when you get home from work after a busy day. Keep warm is a great feature that used to onlky be available on larger cookers but, as I say, most small cookers have it so buy one with this function if possible.
Of course, rice cookers will save energy and money over time since they cook food automatically without supervision needed and they can also be used to make rice, steam food and much more.
Small Rice Cooker With Digital Controls
Buying a small rice cooker with digital controls is perfect because it’s much easier to use and control the rice cooking process. Most of use are used to using appliances with digital controls these days and because of the small size of rice cookers for one person, its often impossible to physicall fit on all the buttons you need to control the many different cooking modes and timer functions that they support. So, most small cookers either have very simple rotary controls or use some sort of digital controls. It may seem daunting at first if you’re not an experienced cook but my advice is to just spend a few minutes with the manual or even better, jump onto YouTube and you can usually find instructions for using your cooker.
How to Cook Rice for One Person in a Rice Cooker
Well, of course, cooking rice for one person is exactly the same as cooking for 10 or 20 people – just with smaller amounts.
The most inportant thing to keep in mind is to make sure you have enough water in the cooker as the smaller rice cookers are actually rated at the same power level as as large ones – usually 1500W – 1800W but , of course the cooking vessel is much smaller. This means that, if you get the temperature setting wrong, the water will evapporate much quicker as theres a lot less of it!
Add to the fact that most rice cookers for one person don’t have advanced features such as fuzzy logic control and it means you really should keep a close eye on whats happening – which is a good case for buying one with a glass lid – as I mentioned above.
One advantage of small rice cookers though, is that they don’t heat up your kitchen like ovens or stovetops will. This makes them great for cooking rice on hot summer days when it’s already too hot to be in the kitchen all day long.
Top 5 Rice Cookers For one Person
Zojirushi NHS-06 3-Cup Cooker
The Zojirushi NHS-06 3-Cup Rice Cooker and Warmer is ideal for singles or couples. It has a compact size with the same quality and technology that you expect from a Zojirushi product. This rice cooker and warmer includes a “fuzzy” logic microcomputer that automatically adjusts cooking temperatures and times, depending on factors such as altitude, to ensure perfect results every time. The unit comes with an inner cooking pan made of durable nonstick material that makes it easy to clean up after use. A plastic measuring cup is also included.
- Easy-to-use single switch control
- See-through glass lid with stay cool knob
- Stay cool handles for easy transport
- Durable nonstick inner cooking pan
- Every Zojirushi rice cooker comes with a plastic measuring cup. This cup has a capacity of 6-ounces, or about 3/4 of a U.S. measuring cup. The capacity of the rice cooker is counted in these 6-ounce cups of uncooked short grain white rice. One 6-ounce cup of raw rice makes about 2 to 3, 6-ounce cups of cooked rice
DCIGNA 1.2L Mini Rice Cooker
The DCIGNA Mini Rice Cooker makes cooking rice and whole grains as simple as placing ingredients in the bowl and turning it on. The rice will cook perfectly on its own, giving you time to prepare the rest of your meal. There’s no need to worry about boiling water, adjusting the temperature or even setting a timer – it will automatically shift to warm once the cook cycle is complete.
Its simple, one-touch operation means perfect rice every time as it automatically cooks rice then shifts to keep warm. The cooking pot and steam pan are dishwasher safe an it features a handy lid liner.
WHITE TIGER Portable Travel Steamer , 1L Capacity
The White Tiger portable travel steamer is the perfect appliance to make rice and whole grains in. Making rice on a stovetop can be a challenge, but with this cooker, it’s as easy as placing the ingredients in the bowl and turning it on. The rice will cook perfectly on its own, giving you time to prepare the rest of your meal. There’s no need to worry about boiling water, adjusting temperature or even setting a timer-it will automatically shift to warm once the cooking cycle is complete. Clean up is a snap with the removalble lid liner and, of course, its dishwasher safe.
- FEATURES:15 minutes to finish cooking;1.0L Capacity,suitable for 1-2 people,suitable for a family of two and busy office workers,can save time for you.
- ALL in 1 Multi-cooker: A novice in the kitchen? It doesn’t matter. With this all-in-1 smart electric cooker,everyone can choose the most desired way to cook a big meal easily. Rice, soup,oatmeal,cake, yogurt,pasta or dessert.
- Keep Warm Function:This mini rice cooker has updated with a keep Warm function and indicator light,never overheat or overcook ingredients again,making for a healthy,perfect meal every time.
- UNIQUE DESIGN: The bottom of the rice cooker has a heat dissipation port ,so as to prevent the damage of the machine caused by the excessive temperature,so that the rice cooker has a longer service life;the inside of the rice cooker is a pot with non-stick coating,easy clean.
- Package Includes:Our 110V mini rice cooker is backed by a 365 Days manufacturer service and includes a rice paddle,rice spoon,measuring cup,removable pot with PFOA-free nonstick coating. 24hs Customer Service, any quesiton pls contact us anytime!
Mishcdea Small Rice Cooker 3 Cups (Uncooked)
The Mishcdea mini rice cooker is perfect for small families or singles. It is a high quality product with one year warranty. The rice cooker has a stylish design, which will fit in any kitchen and can be used as an additional decor item.
This rice cooker makes 1-3 cups of cooked rice, it is ideal for people who want to cook only enough for themselves or their family members. Its capacity allows you to cook up to 3 cups of uncooked long grain white rice.
It uses gold thick spherical pan that provides even heating for better cooking ensuring great results every time.
- 【3 cup capacity】3 cup uncooked capacity yielding anywhere from 1 to 4 cups of cooked rice, suitable for small families of 1-2 people
- 【Multi-menu selections】Special settings for white rice, brown rice, Porridge, slow cook and quick cook
- 【Preset Cooking Time】12 hours delay timer for flexible meal planning, which lets you control cooking start time
- 【12 Hours Keep warm feature】Once cooking is complete, this small rice cooker automatically switches to Keep Warm mode to keep your rice at a ready-to-serve temperature
- 【Easy to clean】Removable non-stick pot and Inner Lid for easy cleaning. Can be washed in the dishwasher
Maxi-Matic Electric Non-Stick Rice Cooker & Steamer
The Maxi-Matic Electric Non-Stick Rice Cooker & Steamer is the perfect kitchen tool for any home. With a 3 cup capacity, it can make up to 6 cups of cooked rice. The rice cooker automatically sets to Keep Warm so there is always a hot meal ready for everyone. This rice cooker makes fluffy white rice quick and easy and also cooks delicious brown rice, long grain rice or mixed rice. It can cook more than just rice, making soups, stews and porridge too!
- COOK MOUTH-WATERING & FLUFFY RICE EVERY SINGLE TIME without wasting your time over the pot! The Elite Gourmet ERC-006NST pro rice cooker is here to help you cook up to 6-cups (3-cups uncooked) of your favorite jasmine, basmati or brown rice effortlessly! No more waiting for the water to boil, no more watching and guessing if the rice is cooked! Our innovative rice cooker will make your life easier and cooking for your family 100% hassle-free!
- WANT PERFECTLY COOKED RICE? JUST SET IT & FORGET IT! Sick and tired of undercooked or overcooked rice? The Elite Gourmet professional rice cooker will evenly cook your rice and then automatically switch to “Keep Warm” function, which will make sure that your delicious rice is fresh and warm for hours before serving! Take all the guesswork out of cooking your sushi or black rice and enjoy your favorite Indian or Chinese recipes effortlessly!
- NONSTICK INNER POT! Unlike flimsy aluminum pots, our rice cooker features a non-stick cooking pot, which is more durable and practical! Save your precious time and effort, since our non-stick inner pot is super-easy to clean and can endure any abuse without skipping a beat! And the best part? You can remove it and serve your yummy rice straight from the cooker!
- THE ALL-INCLUSIVE HOUSEWARMING GIFT IDEA for a hassle-free cooking experience! The cool-touch side handles will prevent accidents while the tempered-glass lid will allow you to check on your rice anytime! Plus, our rice cooker comes with 2 BONUS accessories: a handy measuring cup so you can stop guessing the right amount of rice and a convenient serving spatula! Spoil your rice-loving friends or family with the Elite Gourmet all-in-one rice cooker!
- PERSONAL LARGE CAPACITY cooks up to 6 cups of cooked rice for the entire family and more! This rice cooker holds up to 3 cups of raw rice and 6 cups of cooked rice - enough for multiple servings.
Rice cookers can make rice quickly and easily, saving you time. They also don’t heat up your kitchen like ovens or stovetops will, making them great for cooking rice on hot summer days when it’s already too hot to be in the kitchen all day long. If you enjoy eating rice but struggle with getting rice cooking properly, a rice cooker may be the perfect solution as they simplify your rice-making process by doing most of the work for you. If you need more information about small rice cookers suitable for one person, then please leave a comment below and I’ll try to help.
Last update on 2021-10-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API