Are you, like me, a mom who loves boiled eggs, but doesn’t have the time to stand over a pot of boiling water?
If so, this blog post is for you!
In it, you will learn how to cook boiled eggs in a rice cooker with this simple and quick method. Just set it and forget it! You’ll have delicious boiled eggs ready in no time.
Step 1: Fill Your Rice Cooker With Water.
Ensuring that there is an accurate amount of water in your rice cooker will make all the difference for taste, texture, and cook time. Before you put the eggs in the cooker, use a measuring cup to make sure you have the right amount of water. I recommend adding enough water to completely cover the eggs – this will give an even cook and avoid mushy, undercooked eggs.
Once you have filled the cooker with the right amount of liquid, close the lid and press start. Now you can relax knowing your delicious meal is on its way!
Step 2: Place the Eggs in the Cooker
It is important to take care when placing eggs in the rice cooker, as crowding them will cause them to overcook too quickly.
If they are placed too close together, they may even stick to each other and become difficult to remove.
For perfect boiled eggs, make sure you have enough room in the cooker for the heat to circulate gently around each egg, allowing it to cook evenly and have a nice, soft, runny yolk.
Step 3: Cook on the “White Rice” Setting for 12 Minutes.
Cooking perfect boiled eggs in your rice cooker is easy! All you need to do is set the cooker to “white rice” for your desired cook time. When using this method, I usually go for 12 minutes of cooking time, but feel free to adjust the timing based on how cooked you prefer your eggs. Also, if you start with boiling water, you should reduce the time, especially if you want soft, runny yolks – in this case, I usually go for about 5-6 minutes.
Once finished cooking, let the cooker stand for 5 minutes, and then remove the eggs with a slotted spoon.
This allows for residual heat to finish cooking them, giving you perfectly cooked whites and runny yolks every time.
Top Tip: Place Them in a Bowl of Ice Water
After a simple process of boiling and steaming, there’s nothing more satisfying than having the perfectly cooked egg – firm whites, molten yolks.
To achieve this, once your eggs have finished cooking in the steamer, you’ll need to perform a few additional steps. Use a spoon to carefully remove the eggs from the steamer and then place them into a bowl of ice water.
This will help stop them from cooking further and maintain their ideal texture. With that extra bit of care, you can ensure that your eggs come out just right every time.
Let sit for at least 5 minutes before peeling and eating!
Cooking hard boiled eggs can be tricky as they often require precise timing to achieve desired results. To ensure perfection each time, it is important to let them sit for at least 5 minutes after cooking as this will allow residual heat to continue to cook the egg and for the interior proteins and yolk to properly set so that when peeled, the egg is totally cooked. This additional time needs to be taken into account when setting a timer for your eggs and should not be overlooked no matter what method of boiling you use; whether it’s stovetop or in an Instapot! Allow yourself a few extra minutes and take the guesswork out of peeling your eggs!
My Recommended Rice Cook for Boiled Eggs
- ENJOY MAXIMUM COOKING VERSATILITY FROM BREAKFAST TO DINNER. In addition to cooking rice and grains, this multi-function appliance also works as a hard boiled egg cooker, vegetable steamer, and slow cooker for preparing an endless variety of dishes
- PREPARE MEALS FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY: The nonstick removable pot of the Hamilton Beach rice cooker is large enough to feed your whole family — it fits up to 12 cups/3 quarts of everything from cooked rice* and grains to hearty chili, stew or soup.
- FLEXIBLE PROGRAMMING: Customize cooking to your liking with the adjustable countdown timer or use the delay start timer to adjust the cooking start time of rice, grains or hot cereal.
- AUTOMATICALLY SWITCHES TO KEEP WARM. Cook perfect rice, eggs, grains and more without worrying about overcooking or watching a pot on the stove. The Hamilton Beach Multi-Function Cooker automatically switches to keep warm when cooking is complete.
- EASY TO CLEAN: The removable nonstick pot and accessories of this electric rice cooker are dishwasher safe for easy cleanup.
- * This appliance holds 12 cups of cooked rice or 6 cups of uncooked rice. One rice measuring cup equals 6 oz. (177 g) or approximately 3/4 cup U.S. dry measure. This is based on the traditional Japanese gō measureme
Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
That’s it! Just four steps to the perfect hard boiled eggs. Be sure to let them sit in the ice water for at least five minutes before peeling and eating for best results. With this foolproof method, you’ll never have to worry about overcooked or undercooked eggs again. Happy cooking!