This article will show you how to cook couscous in a rice cooker, which is easier than you might think. Couscous is an ancient grain that originated in North Africa, and it has been gaining popularity in the United States over the past few years. The beautiful thing about cooking couscous with a rice cooker is that there’s no need for any other kitchen appliances like pots or pans and you can get a tasty, nutritious snack in just a few mintues! So, read on to learn more about this simple way of cooking great-tasting couscous without all of the work.
What is Couscous?
Couscous is a type of small, round granules made from wheat flour and water. It originates from North Africa where it’s traditionally served with lamb or goat stew. It has been gaining popularity in the United States over the past few years because it can be eaten like rice. The great thing about couscous is that it’s already cooked and ready to eat, making it an easy way for busy people to prepare a healthy meal.
Couscous is a great alternative to the traditional rice or pasta side dish. With its light and fluffy texture, it soaks up all of that citrus flavor like an eager sponge! Couscous can be served alongside any main course for your next dinner party with friends…
It has become more than just a grain on many menus as chefs have been experimenting with this versatile ingredient in recent years. The delicate grains are perfect for pairing lighter dishes such as salads because they soak up flavors really well without becoming too heavy when mixed together – think little sponges here folks:)
Is Couscous Healthy?
Couscous is a healthy grain that can be substituted for rice and pasta. The granules are small enough to cook quickly, which means they will retain more of their nutrients than larger grains like brown rice or quinoa. It’s also gluten-free! However, couscous is not as rich in fiber as other whole grains like brown rice or quinoa.
How To Cook Couscous
This really is simpliciy itself.
1. Rinse the couscous under running water
2. Add 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt to the rice cooker
3. Place the couscous in an even layer on top of the steaming tray inside your rice cooker, then cover with its lid and set it to cook for 5 minutes
4. Turn off your rice cooker and let it sit for 10 more minutes before removing from heat source
5. Fluff up cooked couscous with a fork or spoon before serving
Couscous Mediterranean Salad
This is a simple, and very tastly dish, served best during the hot summer months. It works well with almost any main but is especially delicious wih lamb. Follow the main steps for cooking your coucous in a rice cooker outlined above then the tanginess of this recipe comes from the combination of lemon zest, red wine vinegar, and herbs whisked with extra virgin olive oil. The salad dressing is just enough to coat all the ingredients; if you want more for serving on the side, simply double it! If there are any leftovers in your bowl after service at your table add a slice or two of fresh lemon before eating.
I start by chopping up red bell pepper, cucumbers, tomatoes and kalamata olives. I add them to a bowl with feta cheese (to help it melt) along with some fresh herbs like parsley or basil. Next is the dressing: olive oil mixed in whole grain mustard brings that Mediterranean flavor while adding lemon juice helps brighten everything up! Finally mix in garbanzo beans for protein and you’re done – this flavorful dish can be served cold or hot!
Cooking couscous may seem intimidating at first but using this recipe you’ll have no problem cooking your own batch of delicious couscous! You can enjoy your couscous as is or with an assortment of vegetables, sauces, and other toppings.
Grab a Bargain on a New Rice Cooker For Your Couscous Today
- UNIQUE 10 MENU OPTIONS: Enjoy popular menu options such as white rice, multigrain/brown rice and porridge as well as versatile options such as steam and slow cook
- IDEAL 6 CUP CAPACITY: The 6-cup (12 cups cooked) rice cooker provides the perfect serving amount for small gatherings or small to medium sized families
- SMART MICOM RICE COOKER: Enjoy effortless cooking as the smart cooking algorithm is designed to automatically cook delicious rice every time!
- CUSTOMIZED RICE COOKING: Whether you enjoy sticky rice, soft rice, sweet rice, or savory rice, My Mode allows you to take control of your cooking with the 16 unique rice flavor and texture options
- CLEAN & FRESH: Keep your rice cooker clean and your rice tasting fresh with the removable nonstick inner pot, detachable inner lid, auto clean function, and excess water drainage dish
- Multi-functional use: whether you are in the mood for a hearty jambalaya, steamed veggies and rice, or even a fluffy cake. You can accomplish it all with Your rice cooker. The possibilities are as creative as you are.
- Nutritious & Delicious – The built-in Steam function allows for nutrient-rich meals to be prepared above while rice, soup, or any other meal simultaneously cooks below, allowing you to save time without sacrificing quality.
- Slow Cook Function – This multicooker not only includes all of your favorite cooking options like cooking rice and grains, but also possesses the Slow Cook function that allows meals to simmer low and slow.
- User-Friendly Programming – This product is a proud member of our “set it and forget it” mentality. It's incredibly simple to operate using our user-friendly digital panel that switches to Keep Warm mode automatically once cooking is finished.
- XL Capacity – 20-cup capacity yielding 4 to 20 cups of cooked rice. Its large capacity can house small individual meals, prepare sizeable family meals, and is also great for entertaining!
Last update on 2021-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API